Paleo Chicken Skillet with Sweet Potatoes, Brussels Sprouts and Warm Apples
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
-1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
-1/2 teaspoon black pepper
-4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
-3 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered (about 3/4 pound)
-1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 8 ounces)
-1 medium onion, chopped
-2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
-4 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
-2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
1. In a non-stick skillet, heat olive oil till shimmering. Add in chicken, salt and pepper and cook till browned. Transfer to plate and set aside.
2. In the same pan, add in chopped bacon and cook till crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and place on paper-towel lined plate. Set aside.
3. Remove all but 2 tbsp. rendered fat, add in remaining salt, chopped sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts and onion. Cook until sweet potatoes are soft, and onions are partially translucent. (roughly 10 minutes)
4. Add in chopped apples, remaining seasoning and 1/2 broth. Bring to a simmer.
5. Add chicken back in and remaining broth. Sprinkle bacon over the top and serve warm.
CrossFit Willis is the premiere fitness establishment in Willis, TX specializing in all levels of strength, conditioning and fitness. Looking to take your health and fitness to the next level? The time is now! Get in touch!